Things to Do with Preschoolers around Wicklow
Things to do with Preschoolers around Wicklow
Welcome parents of pre-schoolers, we have compiled some ideas of things to do with the under 5s around Wicklow. If there is anything else you think should be listed here, drop me a line here
Library Times for Preschoolers
- The county of Wicklow has 13 libraries in total.
- Story time takes place in Arklow library each saturday @ 11am, while in Wicklow town and Blessington story time commences at 11.30am.
- A summary of the librarys services for parents and children can be found here
Places with smaller pools suitable for toddlers that are open to the public:
- Coral Leisure Centre Arklow (0402) 23328 has a separate learner pool
- Coral Leisure Centre Wicklow Town (0404) 66831/2 offers a 9 meter learner pool
- Shoreline Leisure Centre Bray (01) 2765660 has a family viewing gallery and learner pool
- Shoreline Leisure Centre Greystones (01)2878180 offers family changing room and a toddler pool
You will find Parent and Toddler mornings on all over the county:
- Cuidiú run several groups around the county such as in Bray, Glenealy & Roundwood
- A summary of all know groups in the county can be found here
- Catch up with the Buala Bus as it travels across the county
- Indoor fun can be had in one of the 3 playcentres: Zoom in Charlesland, Greystones, Junglemania in Kilcoole or Diamond Bowl and Kidzone in Wicklow town
Music and other fun Classes
There is plenty to do in the Garden of Ireland with toddlers, though many gardens will close November through to March.
Avondale Forest Park in Rathdrum has a number of tree trails and walks to suit everyone
Greenan Farm and Maze also in Rathdrum is a great way to spend the day
Powercourt Gardens and Waterfall are open year round. Fantastic playground and walks along with streams & breathtaking views.
See our article here on further walks for the family in Wicklow
Good beaches, including our blue flag beaches, bring their bucket to collect shells and things:
- Brittas Bay North and South (blue flag)
- Greystones (blue flag)
- Bray/Newcastle, Kilcoole and further down the coast
We are lucky to have so many petting farms in Wicklow which the little ones especially love...
For suggestions of where to go with toddlers, we have compiled a list :
Mermaid Theatre in Bray has a nice café with a small play area and toilets with baby
changing facilities in adjoining HSE offices
● Kilquade garden centre has a cafe which has nice indoor and outdoor
seating and playground.
● The Lounge at the Powercourt Arms country house hotel in Enniskerry offers kids
menus and great free parking.
● The Weir, Ashford House
● Druids Glen Resort, Newtownmountkennedy. Don’t forget to ask reception for
colouring books and pencils.
● Award winning food available in Bates Restaurant in Market Square, Rathdrum or for
family friendly pub grub with free cordials for the kids try Jacobs Well on the main
Cuidiú in Greystones are running first aid evenings for parents on 22nd and 28th of March. For more information click here
Mix cornflour and water and some food colouring (optional) until it forms a thick paste. It will run through your fingers when you try to lift it but if you pat it it is hard. Lots of fun for mums and kids. Very weird texture will make even big kids laugh. washes out of clothes easily and it doesn't matter if it gets eaten cos it's natural so even small toddlers or babies in their high-chair can join in the fun!
(this gloop tip comes from Sarah D, a parent user of the Mykidstime Website)