Free things to do with kids in Waterford
As parents we know how expensive it can be to entertain the kids, so we thought we would put together a list of things to do for free with the children, yes, the things that are completely free of charge. Here's our suggestions for the best things to do for free with kids in Waterford:
Step Back in Time
Dungarvan Castle dates from the 12th Century and includes an informative exhibition on the history of the castle. Admission is free.
In Waterford, you can see six towers and large sections of city wall left over from medieval times.
- The French Tower - located along the top of Castle Street
- The Double Tower - further along Castle Street, this tower gets its name from the two interior rooms
- The Watch Tower - on Manor Street, this tower's cyndrical shape suggests that it dates from the 13th C
- Reginald's Tower - located at the corner of the Mall and the Quays, one of Waterford's most famous buildings.
- The Beach Tower - in Jenkins' Lane, this is one of the finest towers on the circuit with with its 15th century Irish crennalations
- Semi-Lunar Tower - behind the DeLaSalle School on Patrick Street. Like the Double Tower, this tower is a flanking or "on the wall tower".
Browse some books at The Book Centre, a fabulous book store with a great kids’ reading
area and free facepainting on Saturdays between 3.30 and 4.30 p.m, where you can
enjoy a coffee while browsing the books
- Most children love to read or be read to so bring them along to one of the local Waterford libraries, a great way to spend an hour or two. Keep an eye out for the regular free library events and activities too, you'll find them in our Events section.
Related: Rainy Day Activities in Waterford
Where else but the Beach
Waterford is famous for its beaches. Two very popular beaches are:
Tramore which has 5 km of golden, sandy beach with surfing, sailing, sea kayaking.
- Dunmore East is a Blue Flag beach where you can swim or snorkel in the sheltered and picturesque coves.
- Counsellors Strand, a south facing beach between the red sandstone cliffs, is the most popular beach with both the locals and tourists alike. The beach is lifeguarded throughout the bathing season
Related: Great Beaches in Waterford